Thursday, October 11, 2018

Friday Blog: Week Five

This week I have continued reading Rattling the Cage by Steven M. Wise pages 95 - 223. Since I am a week ahead in my reading I might be switching my final book to a longer one called Animal Liberation by Peter Singer, the author who I saw on Thursday night. This book is one of the most famous books in the animal rights movement and I feel like it would be beneficial to read it. Anyways, this week in my reading I came across a few words that I was unfamiliar with and found their definitions. 
Image result for animal liberation book
Source: www.petacatalog.com

Vocab

Exuberantly (Page 165)- Effusively and almost uninhibitedly enthusiastic; lavishly abundant.

Impoverished (Page 167)- Reduced to poverty.

Enculturation (Page 168)- The process whereby individuals learn their group's culture, through experience, observation, and instruction.

Aberrant (Page 174)- Departing from the right, normal, or usual course.

Hominids (Page 181)- Any member of the group consisting of all modern and extinct humans and great apes (including gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans) and all their immediate ancestors.

Gyrencephalic (Page 182)-  Denoting brains, such as that of humans, in which the cerebral cortex has convolutions, in contrast to the lissencephalic (smooth) brains of small mammals (rodents).

Metarepresentation (Page 196)- A higher-order representation with a lower-order representation embedded within.

Subordinate (Page 208)- Placed in or belonging to a lower order or rank.

Parsimonious (Page 214)- Characterized by or showing parsimony; frugal or stingy.

Quibble (Page 221)- An instance of the use of ambiguous, prevaricating, or irrelevant language or arguments to evade a point at issue.

Lexigram (Page 223)- A figure or symbol that represents a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment